Child Support — Brandon & Jackson

Providing Practical and Effective Legal Solutions For Your Child Support Dispute in the Greater Jackson Area

As you make the decision to end your marriage, you’ll be confronted with a series of significant decisions that carry lasting consequences. For instance, if you have children, custody arrangements will need to be determined, as well as any child support obligations. Typically, the non-custodial parent will be ordered to make child support payments to the custodial parent in order to contribute financially to the child’s well-being. Since 1985, the Law Offices of Rusty Williard has been assisting individuals and families throughout central Mississippi as they negotiate and resolve their child support cases. Reach out today to learn more about how we can help you achieve a peaceful and equitable outcome.

Child Support in Mississippi

It’s important to recognize that child support laws in Mississippi vary slightly from other states. While most states require the non-custodial parent to make child support payments until the child reaches the age of 18, Mississippi extends this obligation until the child reaches the age of 21 (or becomes fully emancipated). Ultimately, the goal of child support is to ensure that both parents are participating equally in the financial burden of raising a child. If the court awards joint custody, a child support will likely not be necessary, as both parents are already sharing the responsibility of raising the child. Child support orders are designed for instances where one parent is awarded physical custody, and the other parent must contribute financially to help the custodial parent cover the costs associated with raising the child.

Calculating Child Support Payments

In general, Mississippi courts will calucluate the amount of child support that a parent will owe based a percentage of their Adjusted Gross Income (AGI). Depending on the number of children that are involved, the AGI percentage varies. So, for one child, the noncustodial parent would owe 14 percent of their adjusted gross yearly income. For two children, the percentage increases to 20 percent. It’s important to note that these guidelines are merely a resource for judges to use, and they may ultimately deviate from these specific amounts depending on the circumstances of your case.

Here to Answer Your Child Support Questions

When it comes to child support matters, there are a number of questions or concerns that may arise. At the Law Offices of Rusty Williard, we believe in providing our clients with accurate and effective solutions to their child support disputes so that they can move forward with confidence. Contact our office today to discuss your goals and concerns with an experienced and knowledgeable family law attorney.

Get Started

Contact us today if you have a potential Child Support case.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

For reliable legal assistance regarding your child support matter in the Brandon or greater Jackson area, discuss your goals with a dedicated family law attorney. Call the Law Offices of Rusty Williard today at (601) 824-9797 to schedule a free consultation.